Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Dinner Course 10 - Cold Dessert


A cheat, I'm afraid. I'm not really a dessert person, and I had this very fun Japanese plum jelly that needs to be eaten, so... I love the Japanese presentation. It came wrapped in a beautiful outer box, surrounded by a lovely inner box complete with sakura (cherry) blossoms and a poem in calligraphy I can't decipher. And inside that were six plastic cases of plum jelly, sort of like what you might be served on an airplane, with little plastic shovels also reminiscent of air service.

Somewhat surprisingly, given all the plastic, the jelly is pretty good - not too sweet and with just the right 'bite' so that it stays jelled until you eat it and then melts beautifully on your tongue. So, no complaints putting it in the Christmas line-up. Plus, I think there is some sort of obligation to have Plum-Something!

Despite the poor lighting and cell phone resolution I think you can get the idea. The thing standing up behind the wrapped jelly dishes is the inner box - I already had thrown away the outer box - too bad! it was just as fancy. The dark shapes in the jelly are the pickled green plums that are de rigeur with this dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment