Thursday, March 26, 2009

Ketchup Pizza


Circumstances conspire. 1: Pizza fail from the other night. 2: Wanted to get some chicken from the Fresh Fields but realized I had no money so went home empty-handed. 3: Had one more leftover pizza shell. 4: Thought I had some tomato sauce but it turned out to be chili paste.

The result: Ketchup Pizza. Used Lane's Super-Sweet Ketchup (see Eating Notes below) mixed with Thai chili sauce as the base. Instructions: Prepare the pizza crust or be lazy like I was and use a gluten-free (or regular if you're not bothered by gluten) ready-made as directed. Preheat oven to 450F. Mix 1/4 c ketchup, 2T chili sauce, 1T mixed dried herbs, and 4 sliced garlic cloves. Spread over the sauce. Layer over sliced veggies to suit (I used 4 mushrooms and half a red onion; again, what I had on hand). Grate 2 oz or to taste hard cheese over all. If desired, top with sliced meat or sausage (I used spicy Italian sausage). Cook 13 - 18 min or until done to taste.

Eating Notes: Lane's ketchup now tastes really sweet. I'm not sure if it's really all that much sweet-tasting or if because I'm eating far fewer sweets than I used to it's my palate that has changed. But it's a surprise and kind of nice when you think about what to mix it with. I think the ketchup/chili sauce was too obvious/harsh, but I will now start planning for more subtle future uses.

No comments:

Post a Comment