Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Mechazawa-san Meatloaf Love


After too many fails in too short a time, I needed something comforting and reliable. Mechazawa-san to the rescue!!

(Updated to be a bit more useful). We were a bit hungry, so made two individual loaves from a pound of beef. Instructions: Mix the beef with an egg, 1T yellow or brown mustard, 1T Worcestershire (I use Bulldog for meatloaf), 1T sage, 2t cayenne, 1t garlic powder (if you're tired lazy like I was; it would be better if you mince a few cloves and mix them in) and 1/2 c glutinous millet or other cooked grain to soak up the juices.* When you make the individual loaves, remember to put a dent in the middle to retain cooking juices and provide a well for ketchup. Preheat the Egg and the grill. Grill directly on the grill 35 minutes on restrained-high heat (about 400F) for 2 loaves. Plate carefully to retain the juices and pour ketchup over.

Eating Notes: Used my old-time ketchup, which I hadn't had since Lane and I did the ketchup comparison back in February. It definitely will continue to improve, but was much better melded having had a month more to age.

* as a whole grain, millet (as opposed to millet flour) is not on my "good" list, but I've had some to use up. So I've been trying to sensibly process the millet as much as possible before I eat it. This millet ended up being cooked twice - first in the rice cooker and then in the Egg. Also, glutinous millet, despite the sound of its name, is not a gluten grain.

No comments:

Post a Comment