Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Pork Adobo

So, I was a the store looking for some pork to make pork adobo and saw some packages of neck parts. My recipe is a variation on the adobo theme. Neck is not normally a cut that I would jump on for this dish, actually, its not a cut I think of at all, really. But I had been thinking earlier that I should try the dish with a fattier cut and bones might be a good idea, too. So I bought about 5 lbs and wondered what would be the result.

Pork adobo

Pork neck pieces
1/2 C cider vinegar
6 T soy sauce
6 cloves garlic
2 T sugar
3 bay leaves
1 t black pepper corn
2 t pickling spice

Separated the neck pieces with a cathartic attack of a meat cleaver. Sliced the garlic into rounds. Put everything in a dutch oven and simmered over low hear for an hour plus. I added a little water and cooked uncovered for another 15 minutes.

This turned out to be a very good cut of meat for this dish. It is not the tidiest or dainty cut. The meat was very flavorful and easily picked off the bones. Served with rice.

1 comment:

  1. The flavor was milder than the usual adobo - not as vinegary - but very tasty. The overall effect was a little like many Carribean goat dishes I've had - very bony and harder to pick than say, ribs, where the meat practically falls off the bone, but a nice, rich "gravy" to soak up with the rice. Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete