Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Courtney's Rule of 4 Liver and Green Beans

Tonight I had a pound of chicken livers to dispose of. Also, some good green beans I was in the mood for. Went through a bunch of recipes and absolutely nothing appealed, so made something up myself I don't mind taking credit for. First post shows the finished dish. Pic above shows the main ingredients - liver, beans, and some onion.

Recipe:
Courtney's Rule of 4 Liver and Green Beans
(Serves 4)

1 lb liver (I used chicken; any would be ok I think)
12 oz fresh green beans
1/2 c chopped onion
1/4 c cranberry liqueur or port
1/2 t dijon or other sharp mustard
1/2 t Worcestershire sauce (I used Lee and Perrins)
1/4 c sour cream (please use full fat)
Salt and pepper to taste
2T fat for frying (I used a combination of lard and lamb heart fat)

Trim the stem ends off the beans and cut into thirds. Blanch by steaming 4 minutes, then rinse in cold water to stop the cooking.

If using chicken livers, in half along the natural divide. If using other livers, cut into approx. 1/3" slices/cubes/pieces/whatever. Heat the fat until melted. Pic below shows the amount of lamb heart trimmings I used, which I supplemented with lard to make about 2T fat total.
Saute the livers for 4 minutes and remove from the pan. Picture above shows the livers after cooking.

Add the onions and the blanched green beans and saute 4 min. Add liqueur/port and stir to deglaze; add mustard, Worcestershire, sour cream and salt and pepper, stir the livers back in, and blend well. Serve hot.

Eating Notes: Another ZOMG. With menneh!11! The beans were cooked but crispy. The sharp/sweet taste of the cranberry liqueur was a perfect foil to the chicken livers, and the livers themselves were just gently cooked and really nice. We only could eat about half, so Mr. Bento gets to enjoy them for lunch tomorrow; we'll see if they also make great leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment