Friday, February 20, 2009

More Pork

No, I'm not going to give a purported analysis of the stimulus bill. So, in keeping with a non-existent food comparison, I cooked pork loin chops last night. Courtney did the classic pair of pork and sauerkraut, I did pork with apples. And ginger and sage. The pork loin chops at the butcher were beautiful, so I couldn't resist. The apples were, too.

Pork chops with apples
2 pork loin chops (this cut is obviously not required, though I prefer using a bone-in cut for this type of dish)
2 apples (honey crisp)
1+ T minced ginger
sage leave, lots
ghee
1 C chicken stock
1/2 C white wine
salt and pepper

Slice apples into wedges. Season chops with salt and pepper. Melt 2 t ghee (butter would work, though the solids are going to cause a burning problem, probably) add some sage leave (I ripped the large ones into thirds) and 1 t ginger. Saute until sage starts to crisp. Add a layer of apples and sear over med heat until brown, turn, and repeat. Remove to platter and deglaze pan with a little wine. Pour onto platter or bowl.

Melt another 2 t ghee, add another bunch of sage and ginger and sear chops. The chops were about 1 1/4 inch thick, so I covered them for a few minutes on each side. When done, transfer to the platter with the remains of the apple deglazing step. Cover the chops. Add 1 t ghee to pan and remaining sage and ginger cook until sage is crispy. Deglaze pan with remaining wine (I ended up with a couple of slices of apple that didn't fit on the plate as I conceived it, so I chopped them up and added to the reduction) add drippings from platter holding resting meat and reduce. Add stock and a little more ghee. And reduce to desired consistency.

I divvied up the chops (ever fair about distributing loin and tenderloin) among three people. There are bones to be chewed on on some meat leftover for a small snack.

Serve with apple slices and sauce over the chops. I had roasted asparagus (tossed in about 2 t melted butter with a little lemon juice and pomegranate molasses) and pasta. Salad was slices of avocado, red pepper and hearts of palm with a vinaigrette.

1 comment:

  1. For the fat you could probably use lard, too. If those were my only choices I'd use lard for the frying and then add just a bit of butter right before the final deglazing and when you put in the stock at the end.

    ReplyDelete