Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Carbonade de Boeuf

I love Robert Carrier. His volume 'Great Dishes of the World' is not what one will find in modern cookbooks anymore. He's one of my comfort food chefs. It is bourgeois/country/regional cooking and a solid base for any cooking library. It's cold again here meaning stew.

Carbonade de Boeuf
2 lbs beef (I used a bottom round roast from the cow in my freezer)
2 T lard
4 T butter
4 onions
2 T flour
1 bottle Guinness
salt and pepper
flour for dredging

Cut roast into 1 inch cubes. Slice onion fairly thinly. Dredge cubes in flour and brown in lard in dutch oven in a single layer. Remove to platter and continue until all meat is browned. Add onions to dutch over with butter. Cook over medium heat until lightly browned. Sprinkle 2 T flour over onions and stir. Return beef to dutch oven and mix. Add beer. Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Carrier says to serve with spaetzle or potatoes. I served it with thick egg noodles.

This a very simple, very good stew. Good warm comfort food for a really cold night. While the ingredients are very simple, the flavor is more complex than you would expect. Cooking with beer is a wonderful thing.

4 comments:

  1. Just wondering if egg noodles fall under - "processed foods - avoid" or "non wheat pasta substitute - good choice"? And is the flour okay becuase it is such a small portion - or did you use a non-wheat flour?

    Thanks - Dave L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not consider egg noodles to be a processed food any more than any other form of a noodle/pasta/dumpling/etc. What I use is made from flour, water, egg.

    As to the flour used in the actual dish, I do not have any intolerance to gluten, so I do not look at gluten content of food at all. If you are have full blown celiac disease, you should avoid gluten in foods.

    To be perfectly honest, the dish will lack nothing if some other thickening agent is used or completely left out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephan has a good post here on how treating grains changes their nutritional availability.

    I don't know if I'm gluten-intolerant or not, but I do know that minimizing gluten (I have not completely eliminated it) in my diet has made me feel a lot better. This may be correlative and not causal, since I've also been doing other things. But since glutinous grains don't really enhance my life, why mess with feeling good? And one of these days I will get tested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. UPDATE: I need to clarify that Stefan's post referenced in my last comment also talks about how fermenting affects gluten content of grains, which (in addition to it being generally interesting) is why I mention it here.

    ReplyDelete