Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Paleo-ish Ready-made


I'm working long hours and Phil is hungry, so ready-made is the best choice. Went to the Fresh Fields and got sesame kale (top of picture), roast potatoes, prosciutto wrapped lamb, and artichoke-spinach terrine. The picture shows Phil's - I was well fed by my client today so just had some tastings from his.

Eating and thinking notes: The food was good. The lamb definitely had been steeped in garlic for a while, and the terrine had this great coating of tomato aspic, for which I have a soft spot. We hardly ever go out or eat ready-made any more, but there is a value to taking advantage of people whose main jobs are cooking. Making either the terrine or the lamb would have involved enough person-hours that the resulting meal would have been a feast.

For a real feast meal, I'd still rather make it myself. But ready-made shows an advantage when I look at what I would compare it to if I had made this as a weekday after-a-10-hour-work-day affair. And I was pleasantly surprised at how many choices I had that were zero gluten, low carb, minimally vegetable-oiled, etc. So maybe I should climb down off the high horse to at least a medium horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment