Sunday, February 8, 2009

Beef Carpaccio

Out all day today, so needed something easy. Also decided to eat in front of the TV, so wanted something sort of snack-like. Had some chipped steak in the freezer and some (purchased) smoked scallops in the fridge, so decided on beef carpaccio and the scallops and some rice crackers as a side. Picture above shows the finished dish. Picture below shows Kitchen God Alex helping during construction.
Recipe:

Beef Carpaccio
Serves 2 as a main dish

1/2 -3/4 pounds thinly sliced fillet or similar roast/steak
1 T dijon
1 T small capers
2 t Worchestershire (I used Lee & Perrins)
2 t ketchup (click on the search term for ours - I used the "New Old-Time" ketchup)

Roll the beef slices. Cut into bite-sized pieces. This is important (see Eating Notes below)
Mix the other ingredients and pour over. Serve cool but not icy.

Eating Notes:
I didn't bother cutting the meat, I just left it in long rolls. This was fine for me; I just bit off a comfortable amount and ate it. But Phil's teeth aren't constructed like mine and he ended up having to choke down the entire roll at one uncomfortable bite. Do your co-eaters (and possibly yourself) a favor and take the 5 minutes to cut the steak up.

Oh, and I probably made too much sauce, but it was good so I didn't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment