Monday, February 2, 2009

Winter Stew

I was out of the house for most of Sunday, so dinner was something I could throw in the oven and allow it to stew. One of the cuts I ended up with from the last batch of cow that I split with Courtney was a 2 1/2'ish lb arm roast, so that seemed like a good idea for a winter stew-thing. So, the day decided to crank up to a nice seasonable 60+ F and sent my goat willow into paroxysms of attempting to bloom. It's going to be very annoyed when it starts snowing in a few days, again.

Pot roast

2 1/2 cow arm roast
2 med onion
3 ribs celery
3 carrots
4 cloves garlic
28 oz can tomato
2 T Worcestershire sauce
2 t oregano
1 t thyme
1 T mustard seed
1 t fennel seed
1 t celery seed
1/4 t cayenne
1/4 bunch parsley
12 oz bullion
1-2 T lard
flour
salt and pepper

Chop onion, celery, carrot and garlic, coarsely. This roast had a gorgeous bone with what would end up as about 2 tablespoons of marrow to savor. But anyway. Coat meat in seasoned flour and brown in dutch oven in lard. I cut the roast into 3 sections to brown in two batches. Remove to platter. Throw veggies and garlic into dutch oven an sweat over med-high heat for 10 minutes. Add tomato and juice from can along with spices, bullion and meat. Stir. Add parsley on top. Cooked in 235 F deg oven, I am not sure what I was actually trying for, but that seems to be where I pulled my finger off the temperature control. This would probably work well in a crock pot, I don't actually have a functioning one, so I tend to do these types of dishes in the oven.

I guess this was in the oven about 4 hours. I reduced the liquid some over the stove and broke the meat up into smaller bits; I didn't share the marrow, cook has his privileges. Served with pasta and a green salad of no real great description.

Serves 6'ish

No comments:

Post a Comment