Thursday, February 19, 2009

Pedestrian Dinner and Notes on Fasting


Pic shows tonight's pedestrian dinner of pork chops baked on a bed of sauerkraut. OK, so it was impossibly simple and impossibly good. Nothing but pork, fermented cabbage, and some black pepper over the top. We ate all the fat, all the drippings, everything except for a bit of a tithe around the bones for the kitchen god and goddess.

And this simple feast made me think a lot about the simple famine of a short fast. Yesterday I wasn't that hungry, so I didn't eat. And I think I really gained from that fast.

Bit of back story first. I've always been a morning person. Early to bed, early to rise, and all that (still waiting for the wealth and wisdom, but what can you do). So my mornings are usually very productive, work wise, and then there's a marked drop-off after 2 or so.

But yesterday, I felt productive all day. There was no drop off; if anything, I felt like I was getting more done at 4:30 than I had at 9:30. And today, even though I didn't fast, I just ate when I was hungry. And today's productivity was the same. I was really productive in the afternoon; at least as much so as in the morning.

I don't have enough data yet to form conclusions. But I do know that a lot of times we eat as a social obligation - and why eat if you're not hungry? So I am going to continue to experiment on this front some more. I'm trying to listen to my body and pay attention even if it goes against culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment