Sunday, February 15, 2009

Lamb Hearts Tartare

The lamb (sadly) still hasn't come, but (gladly) I still have some left from before. So!! For tonight, lamb hearts tartare. This completes my lamb heart cycle from slow-cooked to quick-cooked to raw. Easy and incredibly good. From the raw heart (shown above):
Instructions:

Mince the heart (above shows it done) with a cleaver. Per heart, add: 1 1/4" slice onion minced fine; 1t Worchestershire; 1/2t English mustard (I used Coleman's), and salt and pepper to taste. Picture below shows everything ready to be mixed. Blend well. Shape into balls and roll in pecan meal.

Picture below shows it plated. Each of us got 6 heart rolls, with a medium-sized caper pressed into the top of each one. I completed the plating with 10 smoked scallops I had left over from before, plus some pecan halves.
Eating Notes: We've now had lamb hearts raw, cooked lightly, and braised for a long time. We have really liked them each way. We (Phil and I) now firmly believe that people who don't like organs grew up in a culture that cooked them like bacon, which is about the only way they can't taste really good.

Also, while there was some difference in texture between the minced lamb and the chicken hearts tartare I did a couple of weeks ago, it wasn't all that pronounced. For a single large heart mincing was easier, and if I did have wild bird I'd probably mince, but if you're doing a large quantity, mincing it through the meat grinder with a 4mm die is fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment