Saturday, February 28, 2009

Dinner At Ansill Food and Wine - Part 4


Last of the wonderful dinner at Ansill. Following the just-for-us kidneys was an even better treat of just-for-us sweetbreads served with grilled Brussels sprouts (see first pic of the sweetbreads with the sprouts at the upper left). Tasha gave us some 2005 Sangiovese to go with. The sweetbreads were smooth and rich. I was so focused on them that I forgot to take notes about the sauce. I think that's a good thing. The restaurant was busy by now, but I caught David's eye and said "mmmmm.......sweetbreads" and he just smiled and said "of course." If I could have smiled any bigger than I already was, I would have. I liked the sprouts as a side. They were mixed with some applewood smoked bacon and sliced in half so the open sides browned up from the grill. Phil, who is not a big sprouts fan, thought they were ok, but they didn't convert him to a sprouts-lover.
The next and last main course was, to my mind, an example of about the best breakfast a person could wish for. Egg baked in cream with truffles, served with venison spaetzel. Tasha gave us 2006 Altos de la Hoya to accompany. Honestly there isn't much to say about this because it tasted like one would expect a fresh egg in cream with truffles and homemade spaetzel tossed with venison to be.
The kitchen asked if we wanted dessert before cheese. After so much food already I said only if it's very light and very sublime. Once again, no disappointments! The almond tart we got was served with (I think) small cranberries that (I think) had been marinated or pickled in something just a little acidic and sweet. It was so good I forgot to take a picture until it was almost gone. And very light. Tasha gave us a dry dessert wine, Casa de la Hermita, which we both liked very much and found a nice difference from the sweet wines one normally gets at the end of a meal.
Finally, cheese and chutney served with homemade crackers and toast and some espresso. The cheese was first-rate and fresh with a nice rind; the chutney was slightly warm, which was a nice touch and reflected our feelings as well.

So, it was time to leave. David said goodbye and we vowed to come back hopefully sooner than next year. And then out in the chill for a nice walk back to the B&B and a very good night's sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment