Thursday, February 12, 2009

Cabbage Etuvee

Phil was out tonight with a somewhat indeterminate time back, so wanted something that would hold for a time. Also, had a cabbage and some green beans, and wanted to save the green beans for tomorrow with fish. So. Looked around for something to do with cabbage. Found this extremely simple and good recipe. If I were better at diacriticals when blogging I could write this better - the first and second e's have accent marks. But it's also called Smothered Cabbage, even though you don't put a thing over it. According to New Making of a Cook it's an old recipe, which I believe. I adapted it some more to suit my tastes.It's not complex enough to need a true recipe, but instructions may be useful: Core a head of cabbage and shred. Picture above shows the shred cabbage. Chop 1/2 a large red onion. Melt 2T or so of fat (I used lard) in a large saucepan. Add the onion, shake and stir for a minute or two. Add the cabbage, 1/4 cup of cider vinegar, and 1/3 cup of nutmeats. Shake/stir. Add salt and pepper to taste. Shake stir. Cover, turn heat down to very low, and let it cook. Picture below shows it just covered. Let cook on slow for an hour or so. The liquid will have cooked down and it will be nicely, but subtly, sweet. Serve hot or chill until cold and serve as a salad.

Eating Notes: The recipe I was inspired from said 2 heads of cabbage would make 6 servings, but my 1 medium cabbage head easily made 4. It was great comfort food but not too heavy. I'll have it as a salad on Saturday and I think it will be very nicely marinated/aged as a "cold comfort" food by then.

No comments:

Post a Comment