Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas Dinner Course 7 - Garlic-Parmesan Yams


I absolutely hate sugared yams. I'm not a big sweet-tooth in general, but taking a perfectly good and naturally very sweet vegetable and turning into candy makes me cringe. This is my antidote. The garlic/sweet potato combination especially was really refreshing and a lot more interesting than I had expected. If you look at the amounts in the picture, there was about one more serving left over.

I'll definitely do this one again. I cooked it early and it sat in the warmer for 4 or 5 hours. The Parmesan took on a plastic note during that time. I think an hour probably would have been fine.

Courtney's Garlic-Parmesan Yam Casserole

Serves 4

2 small - medium sized yams
1 lg clove of garlic
2T unsalted butter
1/4 c shredded Parmesan
black pepper or curry powder to taste

Wash the yams and slice them into 1 cm rounds, trimming any soft or spoiled parts (do not peel the yams). Finely dice the garlic (Follow my fellow foodie Lane's advice about garlic and use a slicing, rather than an impact, action)

Dot the bottom of a 1 qt casserole with butter. Put half the yams in a layer. Top with half the garlic. Dot with half the remaining butter. Sprinkle with half the cheese. Repeat. Dust with black pepper to taste. This would also be good with curry powder.

Cover and bake at 325F until tender (about 1 hour for the batch pictured). No need to preheat oven. OK to make ahead, but not more than an hour or so if you're keeping it warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment