Sunday, January 18, 2009

Corn Pudding


Trying corn pudding this morning in the Advantium (result shown above). I understand corn is one of those "modern" foods I should probably be avoiding, but I just like it too much! This is adapted from the GE recipe website.

Recipe:

Advantium Corn Pudding
Serves 4 - 6

15 - 16 oz cooked corn kernels (one drained can or a bag of frozen is fine)
1 c milk
3 eggs
2 T butter plus enough to grease the casserole
2 T flour (I used rice flour)
2 T sugar (I used san on tou)
1/2 t salt

Grease a 1-1/2 quart round casserole or souffle pan.

Melt 2T butter. If using frozen corn, run under warm water until it is about room temperature.

Crack the eggs into the casserole and beat them until fairly well mixed. Add all the other ingredients except the corn and mix well. Add the corn and stir in.

Cook 22 - 24 minutes or until barely set at u=6 L=4 M=0. In a conventional oven, I'd guess maybe 325F for 40 - 45 min. - the "until barely set" part is the key.Eating Notes: I had this with some pork breakfast sausage and fried eggs. It's filling enough that you wouldn't really need the rest, but they were a nice counterpart.

The pudding came out with a sort of thin, sweet-ish sauce component. The eggy part was set perfectly, so I know that wasn't the issue. My leading explanation is that this was because I used frozen corn instead of canned, which is what the initial recipe called for. Or maybe there is something to wheat flour even when it's only being used in small doses as a thickener. The flavor was really good and the textures complementary, so I wouldn't change it. But it did mean that a bowl-like dish was required and I couldn't plate it directly with the rest of the food.

4 comments:

  1. You are definitely not going to get thickening with rice flour that you will get with wheat. How about using cornstarch? 1'sh T will probably get a better result that the rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. In reality? I used the rice flour because it was right at the front of the cupboard!

    The thing about cornstarch is that I can taste it in all but the smallest doses. But I might only need a T or so. Or maybe potato flour would work...you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'd probably need more potato flour and with this recipe it may start adding some weird texture things - but that's a guess

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm...by lunch, all the thin saucy stuff had been absorbed back into the pudding. So I think I'm going to call it a non-issue. I'll try regular wheat flour next time just for grins, though.

    ReplyDelete