Monday, January 26, 2009

Squid snacks

This weekend was remarkably non-discussion worthy. Saturday, I made a simple Thai chicken dish that is not worth wasting the poor innocent electrons that would be consumed if I wrote about it. And Sunday was another chicken dish that I have basically forgotten already.

So, I an effort to remain somewhat relevant, I will comment on a quick squid creation I made. In an effort to make room for a variety of frozen animals that are coming into the house in the near future, I was pawing through the freezer and found chicken that could be cooked (as noted above) and a couple of pounds of squid. My children love marinated squid, so kill 2 stones with one bird and clean out freezer and make snacks.

Marinated squid

Cleaned squid
2 t ginger, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 t soy sauce
1 T olive oil
2 T unseasoned rice vinger
1 T mirin
1 pickled chili, chopped

Mix seasonings in a bowl. Cut squid bodies into rings about 1/4 inch wide and cut tentacle bunches in half. Rinse well in cool water. Toss squid in boiling water and allow to sit for 30 secs. No longer and no need to allow water to come back to a boil. If you cook it longer it will become tough. Drain in colander and rinse under cool water. Mix in with marinade and allow to sit for a few hours. Mix occasionally. The longer it sits, the more intense it becomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment