Saturday, January 24, 2009

Offal Cultural Differences

No blogging yesterday. I sing in a Bulgarian/Eastern European group (Orfeia; long story) and we have several rehearsals over the weekend, so not much time to cook. But conversation last night was of interest.

Our director, Tatiana Sarbinska is from Bulgaria. She has introduced me to Bulgarian tripe soup and other really good traditional food. Everyone else in the group is American.

Because I have the lamb coming, and the most challenging part for me will be the head, I asked her if she had ever done lamb head. She was extremely enthusiastic and said yes, and I hope to get some guidelines from her today. Everyone else was going eeew, gross. Tatiana was saying no, it's really good.

We are a squeamish people.

(Oh, and she also has eaten eggshells and basically said yes, of course, they are very good for you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment