Friday, January 9, 2009

Mechazawa-san Chicken and Ginger Carrots


Tonight I didn't expect to be hungry, but we both were. So it was chicken thighs plus some carrots. The chicken was straight out of the freezer, smoked on Mechazawa-san (the Big Green Egg) with pecan wood. The carrots were done in the oven.

Carrots were *really* good. Lots of ginger-garlic, but not in the least overpowering. Recipe so loosely inspired by the Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery that I'm confident calling it my own:

Courtney's Baked Ginger Carrots
Serves 2

3 medium/large carrots
1" piece ginger
2 medium garlic cloves
2T lemon juice
1/4 t salt
pepper to taste
1T butter (+ enough to grease baking dish)

Preheat oven to 400F and grease a small baking dish with butter (picture above shows the baking dish with everything in it).

Peel ginger and cut in half lengthwise, then cut into thin slices. Wash carrots and slice. Combine and put into dish.

Press garlic and combine with lemon juice, salt and pepper (I used a lot, probably between 1/8 and 1/4 t). Pour over carrots, spreading the garlic evenly over the top. Mash the butter around in the dish you mixed the sauce in, then dot the butter over the carrots (picture above shows it made up and ready to be covered and put in the oven).

Bake 1 hour. Remove and serve.

The picture below shows it with Mechazawa chicken.




Something was wrong with Mechazawa-san's thermometer, because as you can see from the second picture the chicken came out overdone, even though the thermometer said it was perfect.

But I include that and the last picture as a sort of instructable. The second picture shows it just off the grill, with the chicken clearly overdone. The final picture is what was left. Because the chicken was done on the Egg, it was still completely edible even if it looked like charcoal on the outside. Because it was cooked longer than normal, I could eat off the (very tasty) ends of the bone, much of the bone itself, and almost all of the marrow. I am a well-fed middle-class person. I was eating all this not because I was particularly hungry, but because it tastes good. The final picture shows all I had left of 2 chicken thighs (the carrots were long gone!).

And now I'm full and closing up shop for the night and going to bed. Good night and good dreams to all who relish good food.

Tomorrow, I make ketchup, aspiring to 80 and no less. Lane will need to fill me in on what kitchen gear that will get me!

No comments:

Post a Comment